Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Saying Hi
 Post Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:40 am 

I'm just here to introduce myself since I am new to this forum.
My name is Christine, I live in Australia and I've been doing family research for about 15 years.
I have a couple of queries to ask, but I shall save those for the appropriate heading.
I shall look forward to spending time here.
Cheers.

Post subject: Re: Saying Hi
 Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:28 pm 

Welcome!

Post Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:09 am 

Hi Christine. I am also from Australia . Not many people came from Newfoundland to Australia . Would be funny if we are looking for the same people. My great great grandmother was Maria Ann Saunders (Pilley) and came to Australia in 1865 on the CLARA.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:13 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

In the event you don't have this information already.....

On December 24, 1812, at the Anglican Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, St. John's, William Pilly, of St. John's, married Jane Hawkins, of St. John's, witnesses: Stephen Pilly, Michael Pilly.

William Pilly and Jane Hawkins had several children, including Maria Anne Pilly, who was born in July 1836, and who was baptised on January 8, 1837 in the Anglican Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, St. John's.

On October 16, 1856, at the Anglican Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, St. John's, William Arthur Saunders, of Yarmouth, England, married Maria Anne Pilly, of St. John's, witnesses: Caroline Nicholls, William Pilly.

*The vessel "Clara", owned by William Foote and Robert Peace, and captained by Mr. Roper, traversed the oceans from Newfoundland to New Zealand, making a brief stop at Melbourne, Australia.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:27 am 

Thanks Milt. Am planning on visiting Newfoundland in 2015 to see the land where they came from. Wish it was not so far away. Lyn

Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:50 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Lyn, I have collected a comprehensive package of information/documents on the Gibbons, Foote, and Peace families. I am assuming the Saunders were fare-paying passengers on board the "Clara". Am I correct in this assumption, and do you have the names of all the fare-paying passengers?

As I relax in my summer abode this morning, I am able to gaze out the window and see the island where the Gibbons and Foote families resided before their departures for New Zealand - the Gibbons family members sailing in the 1850s, and the Foote/Peace families sailing in the 1860s. William Foote was married to one of John Gibbons daughters, as you probably know.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:40 am 

Hi Milt
We seem to have taken over Whistle introduction site.
Will post names of passengers on Clara under my own introduction site aussie lyn.

Board index » General » Introductions