Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Doyle/Whelan Renews area - seeking info
 Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:18 am 

I am trying to locate information regarding John Doyle and Esther Whelan. Church records show their marriage on 7 November 1871. This, and records of the baptism of their children, are from Holy Apostles parish. There is a listing for their daughter, Esther, baptized 19 October 1879 in which it states that the father, John Doyle, is deceased. I've not been able to find information regarding the families of John and Esther. (There are rather a lot of Doyles and Whelan/Whalens.....) Their daughter, Mary Margaret (my great grandmother, b.1878) reports in later U.S. census data that her parents were both born in "English Canada" - presumably, Newfoundland. I would greatly appreciate any further information or suggestions for continuing my research.
As a new user, I'd just like to say how wonderful it is that there is a site such as this!
Thank you - Kathy McNally

Post subject: Re: Doyle/Whelan Renews area - seeking info
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:18 pm 

Esther Whelen Doyle Molloy was my grandmother. Following the death of her first husband John Doyle in 1879 she was left with five children to care for. She met my grandfather William J. Molloy of Renews. She married William J. Molloy on October 7, 1882. They had two sons, my father Michael J. Molloy and my uncle William J. Molloy. Michael was born March 4, 1884, and William was born November 4, 1887. Sometime after the birth of my uncle William, Esther died, leaving my grandfather to care for the Doyle/Molloy children. My grandfather then married Eliabeth Brian. They had three children together. My grandfather William Molloy died on April 29,1898. Elizabeth was a widow until she passed away on October 11, 1934.
I have pieced together to children of this rather convoluted family tree.
Esther Whelen and John Doyle had Edward Doyle, Nicholas Doyle, John Doyle, Mary Margaret Doyle and Esther Doyle. Esther Whelen Doyle Molloy and William Molloy had Michael (my father) and William Molloy. William Molloy and Elizabeth Brien Molloy had three children: Annie Joseph Molloy, Patrick Joseph Molloy, and Alice Patrick Molloy. I hope this helps you with your quest. I live in the State of Maine. Would be happy to exchange information. Respecfully Thomas J. Molloy

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:51 am 

Wow! I was absolutely thrilled to read your response. Your father and my great grandmother were half siblings - so, I suppose we are cousins of a sort. I have never been able to find what happened to Esther or where she might be buried. Mary Margaret (my great grandmother) married John Maloney in Chicopee, MA in1896.
Their daughter, Gertrude, married Clodio Bolduc and they lived in Woonsocket, RI. I was just checking Molloys in Maine yesterday! I have an autograph book of sorts that belonged to my grandmother. In it, she has jotted some addresses in Rockland - for Alice Molloy and Mary Molloy Athearn. I thought I might have some luck in that direction and there you are! I am going to be in Newfoundland in early August. If there is anything you would like me to check on or snap a photo of, I would be happy to do so if possible.
I would love to find out more about our ancestors - I don't even know if they were farmers or fishermen...
What brought them to Newfoundland and when. Please keep in touch. I look forward to hearing from you!
Very sincerely,
Your cousin,
Kathy McNally
Leesburg, VA
Mckat0818@gmail.com

MC

Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:27 pm 

Hello Kathy,

I tried the e-mail address on your last post. I have additional information concerning the Doyle-Whelan- Molloy families. Also several photos of interest. I may be reached by e-mail at tmolloy@roadrunner.com

Have a great day,

Tom Molloy

Board index » General » Introductions