Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Meaghers/Mahers of Harbour Grace/Greenspond/Burnt Island
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:36 pm 

Hi, everyone -- I am just starting research on my family tree and discovered this website. I have traced what I believe to be my line back to Jeremiah Meagher, born in 1757 in Harbour Grace. He would have been my great-great-great-grandfather. My research seems to indicate that he was married to Anastasia Cayley and they had at least one son, Michael, who in turn had five children: Alice, Edward, Joseph, Patrick and William. The various offspring seemed to use variations of the Irish name at that time, including Meagher, Maher and Marr. William Maher was born in 1850 and married Mary Ellen Hollohan (b. 1855) in 1877. They went on to have a son, Walter Joseph Maher, who was my paternal grandfather. Walter was born in 1890 and had 11 siblings:
Catherine, born 1878
Joseph Francis, born 1880
James Patrick, born 1882
Leo, born 1887
Mary Margaret, born 1888
Margaret Mary, born 1892
Cecilia, born 1895
Jerome, born 1898
Ann Mary, born 1900
John Joseph, born 1902
Philomena, born 1903

I would really like to be able to trace my ancestors back to Ireland. I had thought that they had emigrated in the 1800s, so was shocked to find out that they likely were descended from Jeremiah, who was born in Newfoundland in 1757. That's where the trail runs cold, though. Were Jeremiah's parents also born in Newfoundland, or are they of the generation that emigrated. Any info/connections would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post!

Board index » General » Introductions