Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Pardy, Rice Families Seal Cove, Bear Cove
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:39 pm 

I am looking for any information on the famiies of my great grandparents James Pardy (b.28 Dec 1868) and Gunilda Jane Rice (b.16 Jul 1870). They married 23 Dec 1889 in Bear Cove. They both left Newfoundland for British Columbia. I believe in the early 1900s.
They had three children Stanley John, Manuel, and Minnie (my grandmother). I think they were born in Nfld. Any information on my Newfoundland ancestors would be great appreciated.
Linda

Post subject: Re: Pardy, Rice Families Seal Cove, Bear Cove
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:23 pm 

hi Linda

James Albert Pardy was baptized Dec ?31 1868 Tilt Cove, the son of Samuel Pardy and Charlotte Dicks. James was rebaptized Aug 30 1875 at Wild Cove, White Bay.

His father Samuel Pardy was born circa 1836 Twillingate and died of insanity and old age Oct 13 1906 Pacquet, White Bay age 70 yrs (church burial and one civil death record) or age
60 (per a second civil record). He married Jan 5 1870 Tilt Cove Ang to Charlotte Dicks
(baptized Aug 6 1847 Shoe Cove, Green Bay age 11 months - died either Jul 15 1901 age 55 (one civ death record and a Methodist parish record) or died Jul 14 1901 (Anglican parish
records). This is not the only person I have seen with burials in both the Anglican and Meth
records. Not sure what was going on, unless both ministers took part in the ceremony
and recorded different dates. Samuel may have been a son of William Pardy and Eleanor Young of Twillingate but that is only spec on my part, no evidence.

Charlotte Dicks was the dau of Elias & Jane Dicks. Her mother's maiden name is unk
and there is no surviving marriage record for her parents, probably because the Twillingate Ang records were lost in a fire. Elias remarried 1870 to widow Rebecca Rideout, maiden name not known) but was noted as deceased at the marriage of
his daughter in 1877. Elias is presumed to be the son of George Dicks (born c 1783 - buried Mar 8 1870 Caplin Cove age 87) and Charlotte Unknown.

Baptisms for James and Gunilda
- Stanley John bap Jan 6 1891 Wild Cove, White Bay - died Oct 3 1903 Seal Cove, White Bay age 13 yrs, 6 months (headstone at Anglican Cem, Seal Cove WB)

- Manuel received June 25 1895 South Arm, White Bay

- Manuel born Jul 11 1897 Wild Cove WB, bap July 18 1897 (father named as John in error,
name of father in orig records has an asterix by it)

I don't have a baptism for your Minnie would love to have it if you do.

Gunhilda, per John Hammond (deceased, wrote articles for the Newfoundland Ancestor on
the Rice family) was the dau of John & Mary Rice. He did not give a baptism or DOB for her

I have more information on the Pardy and Rice and Dicks families. You can email me
privately at njillmarshall@aol.com

Jill Marshall, St Johns NL

Post subject: Re: Pardy, Rice Families Seal Cove, Bear Cove
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:59 am 

Looking at Minnie's DOB from BC Vital Stats I see that the third child which looked
like another Manuel, born Jul 11 1897, is actually her, as the DOB is a match.

Jill

Board index » General » Introductions