Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Still searching for info on Moores/Kelloway and Davis/Kellow
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:28 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Dear Milt, or anyone who knows of the Moores/Kelloway/Davis families,
Could you please tell me why I cannot access anything beyond the info below on my Grandfather & Grt. Grandfather's side of the Moores family.....are there no records that go back any further than this? I have tried really
hard to find anything beyond my Grt Grandfather's name and cannot seem to find anything...
does that mean he was born somewhere else (ie: England?) or are there just not records that
go back that far....? If there is anyone out there who knows any other info on the Moores side of the family or the Kelloway family (which I cannot find either) as my GrtGrandmother's name was Mary Charlotte Kelloway before marrying my Grt Grandfather...??

William Moores, son of Joseph Jeffers and Mary Charlotte Moores(nee Kelloway), born Aug 28, 1884, baptised Nov 16, 1884, by James B. Heal, Freshwater.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Post subject: Re: Still searching for info on Moores/Kelloway and Davis/Ke
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:52 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Marriage - December 25, 1852, Methodist, at Freshwater, MOORE, Samuel, of Freshwater, and JEFFERS, Mary, of Freshwater, witnesses: Francis Jeffers and Thomas Moore.

Birth/Baptism - born August 24, 1855, baptised December 9, 1855, at Freshwater, MOORS, Joseph, son of Samuel Moors and Mary Jeffers, planter, by Rev. W.E. Shenstone.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:58 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Milt, thank you so much....you know I had seen those in the files but because of the
different spelling I was not sure if they were a relation or not.....it seems the Moors/Moores/Moore changed spelling many times.....
Is the Moors spelling more from England originally??
It makes sense as far as the Jeffers goes, since so many of the families passed down maiden
names of the mothers to their daughters or sons....Thank you so much!!!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:56 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Karen, don't let the variations in spelling in some of the original church records, and in some of the transcribed online versions of records, slow you down. There are many reasons for these spelling differences.

Focus on the bigger picture !

Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:39 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Milt,
Thanks for the helpful info...I will keep that in mind....in fact last night I went in again to look and found this-This is the same Samuel and Mary isn't it??

Moores, Samuel b.?- died Sept. 3, 1902 at 78 married to Mary Jeffers
Moores, Mary b.?- died Jan 16, 1903 at 73 married to Samuel

I still haven't found their birth dates,but am still looking.....with my seizures I can only look at these lists so long before it starts to bother my brain....that is actually one of the things I have been looking for too..
If any of the Moores/Davis/Jeffers/Kelloway side had any family members with seizure problems.
My doctor told me that the JME - Juvenile Myoclonic Epilpesy which I have had since I was
six, is usually passed down in families.....I passed it on to my late son unfortunately. But we have never found any on my mom's side and they said it would have come from Dad's side anyway...Dad passes to daughter...and Mom passes to son....that's just the way it goes apparently......will keep focusing on the big pic!! Thanks again for all you help...it means a lot.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:43 pm 

I too have been looking for Kelloways in the same general area. I seem to be missing a whole generation or more. My G G grandparents were Robert Edward and Leah Kelloway. I found the birth record of their son, my g grandfather and literally uncovered the broken headstone of Leah which said it was erected by her son my g gf. Luckily I knew their names from my gmother. What I'm wondering, is if there are any Anglican birth or marriages records for Carbonear for the years 1830-1860. I think my missing Kelloways would have been born and married in that time frame. Does anyone out there know if any records exist or how I might find out if they do??? Thanks Eileen

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:53 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Enobe,
You can check the sites below but you will notice that only certain portions of Anglican records are there for Carbonear...nothing that I have found for 1830's as far as baptisms or
burials...but will keep checking....I believe the Kelloways came from Ireland as far as my family knows and settled in NFLD...have still found it hard to find anything beyond my ggt grnd parents and that only with Milt's help....but there is a wealth if information here on this site and it is wonderful. Happy searching!!

http://ngb.chebucto.org/Parish/1car-parish-idx.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

St.James's Anglican Church - Carbonear - Records
Baptisms 1841 - 1919 (Not All Inclusive)
Burials 1878 - 1910 (Not All Inclusive)
Marriages 1823 - 1827 (Not All Inclusive)

At the site below, you will find vital records for Anglican Church for 1860-1891
http://ngb.chebucto.org/Vstats/1vstats-car-idx.shtml

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:16 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Eileen,
Are these possibly your older relatives or decendants? still looking for earlier but hard to find.

KELLOWAY, HERBERT - Dec 29th 1925 - 14 years 2 months
We may go to Him, But He cannot return to us. Beloved son of Robert E & Harriet Kelloway. Safely, safely gathered in, No more sorrow, no more sin. God has saved from weary strife, In its dawn this fresh young life. Which awaits us now above, Resting in the Saviour's love, Jesus grant that we may meet, There adoring at thy feet. Erected by his brother James

KELLOWAY, ALBERT LEWIS - Darling child of Robert and Leah Kelloway. Remainder unreadable

Board index » General » Introductions