Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Pitts
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:44 am 

Hello,

I have just registered and am looking for any information on the Pitts family. My Great, Great Grandfather was George Albert Pitts, married to Augusta Louisa Readwin. My Grandmother was Elizabeth Barbara Pitts, daughter of Stuart Pitts.

I have joined Ancestry and managed to get some information from there but I know very little other than that. Would be grateful for any information, particularly photos of family members !!!!!

Many thanks

Joanna

Post subject: Re: Pitts
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:16 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Will of James Pitts, from Newfoundland will books, volume 3, pages 168-169, probate year 1870.
In re: James Pitts, deceased.
In the name of God amen. I James Pitts of Saint John’s in the Island of Newfoundland Merchant being weak but of sound mind memory and understanding do make this my last will and testament.
First I give devise and bequeath to my son William Pitts the house and land around the same about two acres including the water side situate at Belle Island formerly occupied by me but now unoccupied and more particularly described in a Grant of the same dated the fourteenth day of December one thousand eight hundred and fifty- Also one undivided third part of the farm at Belle Island now occupied by my brother William during his lifetime and after his decease I bequeath the same to my grandson James Stewart Pitts during his lifetime and after the decease of my said grandson James Stewart Pitts I leave the same to my grandson George Albert Pitts during his lifetime but should both of my said grandsons die before my said son William I wish to bequeath the same as above mentioned to my said son William Pitts his executors administrators and assigns for ever.
Second- I bequeath unto my executors hereinafter named in trust for my daughters Jessie Pitts and Julia Pitts the dwelling house I now live in during the remainder of my term and the rents and profits arising therefrom situate in Cochrane Street No. 66 together with the furniture thereto belonging also the rents and profits of a piece of land now under lease to Messrs. Ridley and sons in Harbor Grace situate at the point Beach as well as any monies or property belonging to my estate not herein provided for- for the support and maintenance of my said two daughters Jessie and Julia as long as they remain unmarried to the extent of twenty five pounds currency each per annum with power to the executors hereinafter named to increase the amount if they think necessary but in the event of either of my said daughters marrying it is my will and desire that the said sum of twenty five pounds currency shall revert to the daughter remaining unmarried twelve months after such event shall take place and in the meantime to be free from the control of such husband and in the event of both of my said daughters dying or marrying it is my will and desire that the interest in my dwelling house as well as the land at Harbor Grace before mentioned and the remaining portion of my estate shall be sold and divided amongst all my surviving children share and share alike each of my daughters share to be free from the control of any present or future husband they may have-
Third- I bequeath to my executors hereinafter named all that piece of land situate at Harbor Grace at present unoccupied and purchased by me fromThomas Foley under deed bearing date the seventeenth day of April one thousand eight hundred and thirty three as well as a piece of land at Bears Cove Hill Harbor Grace and described in a Grant thereof dated April the twenty second one thousand eight hundred and thirty four being Lot No. 62 in trust for my said daughters Jessie and Julia to sell or let the same towards the fund for their support aforesaid.
Fourth I give and bequeath to my daughters Belinda Ebsary- Emma Parsons- Martha March- and Carolina Knight the sum of ten pounds currency each the same to be free from the control of either of their husbands and payable within twelve months after my decease-
Fifth- I appoint my son William Pitts of St. John’s Merchant and Stephen Knight of same place Trader executors under this my will and in the event of either of my said executors dying or leaving the country I hereby substitute my grandson James Stewart Pitts in his place.
In witness whereof I the said James Pitts have hereunto set my hand and seal at St. John’s Newfoundland this first day of March A.D. one thousand eight hundred and sixty nine.
James Pitts. Signed and sealed by the said testator as his last will in the presence of us who in his presence at his request and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses, the words “or let” on third page having first been interlined,
Augustus O. Hayward, Geo. W. Mews.
Certified correct,
D. M. Browning
Registrar

Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:17 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

The following announcement was published in the 'Newfoundland Express' Newspaper, dated January 15, 1874: "Married - Dec 20th., at St. George's Church Birkenhead, by the Rev. P.L. SANDBERG, M.A., George Albert PITTS, second son of Wm. PITTS, Esq. of St. John's, Newfoundland to Augusta Louisa, only daughter of T. Allison READWIN, Esq. of Dubin."

Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:20 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

England Births and Christenings:
Name: Augusta Louisa Readwin
Christening Date: 18 May 1852
Christening Place: SAINT ANDREW, ST MARYLEBONE, LONDON, ENGLAND
Birth Date: 07 Apr 1852
Father's Name: Thomas Allison Readwin
Mother's Name: Augusta Mary
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C04256-1
System Origin: England-ODM
GS Film number: 597918

Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:23 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

England and Wales Census, 1871:
Name: Augusta L. Readwin
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 1871
Relationship to Head of Household: Daughter
Birthplace: London, London
Schedule Type: Household
Registration District: Chorlton
Sub-District: Hulme
Parish: Moss Side
County: Lancashire
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Self, Thomas Allison Readwin, M, 59, Norfolk.
Wife, Augusta M. Readwin, F, 39, London.
Daughter, Augusta L. Readwin, F, 18, London.
Mother-in-law, Mary Pilcher, F, 65, London.
Sister-in-law, Emily Pilcher, F, 28, London.
Servant, Bridget Shea, F, 30, Ireland.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:25 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

England, Cheshire Parish Registers:
Name: George Albert Pitts
Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: 20 Dec 1873
Event Place: St John, Birkenhead, Cheshire, England
Age (Formatted): Full Age
Marital Status: Single
Father's Name: William Pitts
Spouse's Name: Augusta Louisa Readwin
Spouse's Marital Status: Single
Spouse's Father's Name: Thomas Allison Readwin
GS Film number: 2104342
Digital Folder Number: 004018962
Image Number: 00101

Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:27 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

England Births and Christenings:
Name: William Allison Pitts
Christening Date: 1874
Christening Place: SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST, WEST DERBY, LANCASHIRE, ENGLAND
Birth Date: 1874
Father's Name: George Albert Pitts
Mother's Name: Augusta Louisa
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C16172-1
System Origin: England-VR
GS Film number: 1468983
Reference ID: - 2:2CM0B6Q

Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:29 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

George Albert Pitts and Augusta Louise Readwin:

Children:

William Allison Pitts
Norah Jessie Mary Pitts
George James Stuart Pitts
Cecil Pitts
Harold Pitts

Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:30 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

England and Wales Census, 1911:
Name: George James Stuart Pitts
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 1911
Birthplace: St John's Newfoundland
Schedule Type: Household
Registration District: Hampstead
Sub-District: Hampstead
Parish: Hampstead
County: London

Post Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:56 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

I'm rather new at this, but I found this pertaining to James S(tewart)? Pitts in the records.

Pitts James S. 1914 530 St. John's Probate 6

Hope your search continues to go well.

Board index » General » Introductions