Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Looking for Moore and Davis family connections
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:08 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

I am Karen, the daughter of William Donald Moore of Freshwater, Carbonaer NFLD who was born
there on April 2, 1920. My dad passed away Nov. 15, 1987. He was the son of William and
Ethel (Davis) Moore and brother of George Frederick Moore of Wakefield, Ma.
Uncle George (Fred) and Dad used to come up for a visit (my uncle more than dad) to see the old homestead, and visit with Nellie Butt and others.
I grew up with stories of "Fog Eater Newell", and "Steel Breast Moore" , also "Wild Bill Moore.
I believe my grandfather was Steel breast and my great grandfather was Wild Bill...but am
not sure....
I have been trying to put together our family history but since many of my aunts and uncles on my Dad's side have passed away..., Roy & Jack are still alive, but haven't seen them in years, it is hard to get the information I need.
My Grandfather moved with his family to Revere, Ma when my Dad was a very young boy, but but Dad met and married my mom (Marguerite Ledoux) back in Jan of 1946. I believe one of my great uncles (Fred Moore) said when he met my mom, "Look, Look, Look maid, but your 'Tin!" hahah Dad often talked his Newfy talk and told us many stories.
I would love to know more about my Grandmother's side of the family (Davis) as well as
my Dad's.
Any help would be wonderfully appreciated....until then I will keep checking this wonderful
site in efforts to learn more of my family's history. One of these days I will actually get up
to Freshwater!!
Thank you!! Karen Davis Moore now married (branco)

Post subject: Re: Looking for Moore and Davis family connections
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:53 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Karen, is this the correct family?

United States Census, 1930:
Name: William H. Moore
Event Type: Census
Event Year: 1930
Event Place: Revere, Suffolk, Massachusetts, United States
District: 0566
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Race (Original): White
Relationship to Head of Household: Head
Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Head
Birth Year (Estimated): 1887
Birthplace: Canada English
Immigration Year: 1909
Father's Birthplace: Canada English
Mother's Birthplace: Canada English
Sheet Number and Letter: 15A
Household ID: 278
Line Number: 13
Affiliate Name: The U.S. National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
Affiliate Publication Number: T626
Affiliate Film Number: 961
GS Film number: 2340696
Digital Folder Number: 004607697
Image Number: 00107
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Head, William H. Moore, M, 43, Canada, English.
Wife, Ethel Moore, F, 39, Canada, English.
Daughter, Bertha Moore, F, 19, Massachusetts.
Daughter, Irene Moore, F, 17, Massachusetts.
Son, Cecil Moore, M, 15, Massachusetts.
Son, Damon Moore, M, 13, Massachusetts.
Daughter, Mildred Moore, F, 11, Massachusetts.
Son, William Moore Jr., M, 10, Massachusetts.
Son, George F. Moore, M, 5, Massachusetts.
Son, Roy Moore, M, 3, Massachusetts.
Son, Jack Moore, M, 1, Massachusetts.

New Hampshire Marriage Records:
Name: Walter Nester Hathaway
Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: 19 June 1938
Event Place: Seabrook, Rockingham, New Hampshire
Marital Status:
Race:
Birthplace:
Birth Year (Estimated): 1915
Father's Name: Walter B. Hathaway
Mother's Name: Ella Nester
Spouse's Name: Mildred Vivian Moore
Spouse's Age: 21
Spouse's Marital Status:
Spouse's Race:
Spouse's Birthplace:
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated): 1917
Spouse's Father's Name: William H. Moore
Spouse's Mother's Name: Ethel Davis
GS Film number: 2293260
Digital Folder Number: 4244842
Image Number: 29

Post Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:59 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Massachusetts Births:
Name: Mary I. Moore
Event Type: Birth
Event Date: 30 Jun 1912
Event Place: Chelsea, Massachusetts
Father's Name: William H. Moore
Mother's Name: Ethel A. Davis
Reference ID: p 437
GS Film number: 2409731
Digital Folder Number: 4401718
Image Number: 11

Massachusetts, Births:
Name: Cecil Benjamin Moore
Event Type: Birth
Event Date: 15 Jul 1914
Event Place: Chelsea, Massachusetts
Father's Name: William H. Moore
Mother's Name: Ethel A. Davis
Reference ID: p.16
GS Film number: 2409801
Digital Folder Number: 4401722
Image Number: 162

Post Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:57 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

:D Milt, thank you so much! Yes that is my Dad's family and it is so good to see
all that information...I had found some info about some of my aunts and uncles thanks to all the marvelous lists that have been compiled and made available...but seeing it all put together the way you did looks so good and is o helpful!
In going thru the lists I think I may have found out my great grandfather and great grandmothers info too...at least I hope it is correct....not being able to check it out with someone who would know makes it difficult and with Mom and Dad both gone and many of my aunts and uncles, it is hard to verify.
But I think that William Moores and Elizabeth Moores may be my great grand parents. and I did find Damon Edward, Doris Catherine and Mildred Vivian's birth notations....which was helpful.
I also believe Frederick and Ada Moores were my grand father's brother and sister in law and son John Samuel, their son born on Feb. 23, 1915 was my Dad's cousin.
It is interesting to be able to find so much family history, and to know our name was Moores before my Grandfather came to Revere, Ma....then the name was changed to Moore My Uncle George Frederick (we called him uncle Fred as we had an uncle George on my mom's side too.) But he and my dad visited a couple of times and Uncle Fred went up often....
What is also surprising to me is to see so many names of families I grew up with, such as the Flights (Wilson and Grace and son Wilson); the Pottle's (Oliver and Dot and son David)
and many more ....in Everett, Mass before we all moved to Reading, Mass.
As you can see by my name, my dad gave me my grandmother's maiden name as my middle name.
I see the birth announcement too about a Mary I Moores....I believe that is the child my grand parents lost at age 2 to Pneumonia. there were 12 children originally but only
11 lived on to higher ages.
Many are gone....I believe my uncle Roy, and Uncle Jack are still alive in Mass. My aunt Doris may be still living in Fl....but we only saw her twice in my whole life and never met
Bertha!
Will keep looking for more info on the Davis side as well, but truly appreciate all the info
you have given me.....sincerely karendavis65

Post Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:46 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

"Ethel Amelia Davis, Father: Joseph, Mother: Amelia, born June 23, 1888, baptised Aug 20, 1888, Clergyman: Jabez Hill, Abode: Freshwater."

"Damon Edward Moores, Father: Wm. Hayward, Mother: Ethel Amelia, born July 5, 1916, baptised Sep 22, 1918, Clergyman: H. Royle, Abode: Freshwater."

"Mildred Vivian Moores, Father: Wm. Hayward, Mother: Ethel Amelia, born June 19, 1918, baptised Sep 22, 1918, Clergyman: H. Royle, Abode: Freshwater."

"Mary Amelia Moores, Father: Frederick James, Mother: Ada, born June 2, 1911, baptised June 12, 1911, Clergyman: A. A. Holmes, Abode: Freshwater."

"John Samuel Moores, Father: Frederick James, Mother: Ada, born Feb 23, 1915, baptised Mar 10, 1915, Clergyman: E. Broughton, Abode: Freshwater."

Post Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:13 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Milt,
Again thank you so much....I wish I knew how to access more public records in Mass
too so that I could get even more info on the Moore(s) family. The cousins of course have
all dispursed to various parts of the us...I believe my cousin Barbra (Jack Moore's daughter)
left for Cal. years ago. My cousin Steve went out west too...and Laura (George (Fred)s daughter is living still in Wakefield, Ma I believe...tried to email her once but got no answer...and haven't seen her in years either....too much moving around....I grew up in
Everett, MA and Reading, MA, then married and moved to Bermuda. Came back after the birth of our daughter Jennifer Lee in 8/26/1971 and moved back to Bermuda again after our son Thomas (TJ) was born 4/2/1974....then back again to Malden, MA in 1975. Then to St. Petersburg, FL in 1986 and to Tenn after our son was killed by a drunk driver in 2/21/99.
we have been here now for over 10 yrs....so you can see why keeping in contact is difficult.
You have been a great help though and I will continue to keep searching ...and building the family tree for our family.
Sincerely karendavis65

Post Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:06 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Milt, or anyone with info....I have been able with all your help to find out my grandparents Davis, grt, grandparents, and grt grt grandparents on my Dad's Mom's side...
now I am trying to locate anymore information on my Grandfather Moores side of the family.
Since I never met him or Grandma Moores (davis) I still don't even know who my grandfather's
parents were or if he had any brothers and sisters other than Frederick.....Does anyone have
any further info on that side of my family?
I was so happy to find out the names of the Davis side and have kept searching my Grand-
fathers side, but so far, no more info....Would appreciate any help given.
Thank you and thanks for this terrific website for Newfoundland families...
karendavis65

Post Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:45 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Karen, you may discover that William Moore(s) was a son of Joseph Jeffers Moores, and his wife Mary Charlotte.....but, of course, do your own due diligence.

William Moores, son of Joseph and Mary Moores, born Aug 28, 1884, baptised Nov 16, 1884, by James B. Heal, Freshwater.

James Fredrick Moores, son of Joseph and Charlotte Moores, born May. 26, 1889, baptised Nov 10, 1890, by J. Hill, Freshwater.

Aseneth Moores, daughter of Joseph and Mary Charlotte Moores, born Sep 20, 1892, baptised Oct 28, 1892, by A. Hill, Freshwater.

Joseph Samuel Moores, son of Joseph and Mary Charlotte Moores, born Nov 8, 1893, baptised Nov 16, 1893, by Anthony Hill, Freshwater.

Lance Corporal Samuel J. Moores
Died: October 12, 1916
Regimental Number: 943 Survived War: No.
Force: Army Regiment: Newfoundland Infantry.
Battalion: Royal Newfoundland Regiment Company.
Next of Kin: Joseph Jeffers Moores and Mary Charlotte Moores; parents; Freshwater, Bay de Verde, Newfoundland.
Address at Enlistment: Freshwater, Bay de Verde, Newfoundland.
Cause of Death: Died in War, unknown cause Battle Died/Wounded.
Date of Death: October 12, 1916, Age at Death: 26
Buried at: Beaumont-Hamel (Newfoundland) Memorial, France Plot: N/A
Prisoner of war: No Interned.
Canadian Virtual War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
Lance Corporal, Newfoundland Infantry, Royal Newfoundland Regiment.
Son of Joseph Jeffers Moores and Mary Charlotte Moores, of Freshwater, Bay de Verde.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:17 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Dear Milt,
Thank you again...you certainly know much....but I question and will keep looking about my
grandfather's parents?? If my grandfather William Hayward Moore was 43 in 1930, he couldn't have been born in 1884, but 1887....true??
I will keep doing as you say my own due dilligence!!! and thank you again for your help.
sincerely, karendavis65

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:29 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Just a kind word of caution, Karen. I have seen many, many errors concerning age, etc. stated in census reports from all areas of the globe !

Such errors may have occurred due to a lack of diligence on the part of the census taker, or the subject listed in the census report may have lied about his/her age during the census taking process, or the transcriber of the census document could have made an unintentional transcription error, etc.

But yes, do your own due diligence, please.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:48 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Dear Milt,
Thank you, I will keep that in mind when searching for info....I am sure you are right, and
probably 1884 was my grandfather's birth date......Records from way back are often
not exact that is true...will keep searching and thank you for you kind advice.
karendavis65

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:15 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Dear Milt or anyone who knows of the Moores/Kelloway/Davis families,
Could you please tell me why I cannot access anything beyond the info below on my Grandfather & Grt. Grandfather's side of the Moores family.....are there no records that go back any further than this? I have tried really
hard to find anything beyond my Grt Grandfather's name and cannot seem to find anything...
does that mean he was born somewhere else (ie: England?) or are there just not records that
go back that far....? If there is anyone out there who knows any other info on the Moores side of the family or the Kelloway family (which I cannot find either) as my GrtGrandmother's name was Mary Charlotte Kelloway before marrying my Grt Grandfather...?? Thanks for any help you can give.

William Moores, son of Joseph and Mary Moores, born Aug 28, 1884, baptised Nov 16, 1884, by James B. Heal, Freshwater.

Board index » General » Introductions