Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: SEARCHING FOR INFORMATION ; on Gallop
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:05 pm 

Hi,
This is my first posting and so forgive me if I dont do this right.
I live in the UK and am searching for my relatives from Newfoundland, Harbour Breton.
I am a direct descendant of William Joshua Gallop, who worked for Newman and Company.
This was during the 1850s.-1860's
He is mentioned in many peoples Wills of the time , as an Executor, and he was also named in the Newman Archives as working for them.
It has been said he became a Justice of the Peace during this time too.
I have paperwork including Baptism Certificates for two children born to William and a women called Maria, who it is alledged originated from Gaultois. There are no known other details for her which we can find.
I know he went on to marry an Emily after Maria died at a young age.
One of the questions I have is regarding the oral history which has been consistantly handed down through my family regarding my direct relative settling down with a indigenous women.
I am trying to find out how and if, it may be possible to find out any more information when it appears Maria does not have any surname ? There is a reference to her having originated from the area as a local however.
I am planning to visit Harbour Breton in June this year, so any advice would be gratefully received..
I am thrilled to be researching such an exciting journey through my Great Great Grandfather.
Mandi T

Post subject: Re: SEARCHING FOR INFORMATION ; on Gallop
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:25 pm 

Hello Mandi.
I am enclosing the link to a marriage record...check couple #4 on the page. The bride's name doesn't match your post...but the groom's occupation is lised as "clerk", so I thought it could be your William Gallop. This link is from familysearch.org and you may find that site helpful...it's free.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... wc=5479074" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Can you give a date from the baptism certs. that you have?
Hope I haven't made things more confusing.
Linda Moss

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:01 pm 

Dear Linda,
Many thanks for your suggestion.
I have checked it out,
I guess it is all a little confusing...!!
Certainly appears that there were too many William Gallops for comfort !!
According to the two baptism certificates I have here in front of me....in 1871 MAY 14TH William Porter Curtis was baptized. His Parents named on the certificate are William Joshua and Emily ( no surname, though suspect it may be Mullins) Also Emily Maria Veal was baptized on June 13th 1896, alleged D.O.B. May 5th 1869. Her parents names on the certificate are William Joshua and Emily again....
BOTH CERTIFICATES ARE STATING HE WAS AN AGENT....
They appeared to have had several more children whilst back in UK.. as they moved back here.... after William then died later on Emily returned to NFL is buried there in Hermitage.
Actually, through reading info off the Ancestry sight which is most interesting, He was married to Maria first.... and she then died aged 27 years, interestingly the same year their son died 1870.....however, two things do not make sence of this.....
1... she is buried in Hermitage NFL...2.... it is stated in research that she and William had already returned to Dorset England where the son died after falling off a horse ?

I have been informed Maria had no known surname nor details... and am hoping to receive a copy of a photo of her headstone from the local cemetry in Hermitage...
It also appears that Maria and William had children before she died... however if I remember right, one of them was supposed to be the son William Porter CURTIS, whom I am supposed to be related too...
I am truely confused right now ! Mandi

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:07 pm 

Dear Linda, I also forgot to say, that I find it interesting that MARIA a name which continuously comes up down the line.... is that just co-incidence ?
Going back to the message you first sent to me... I think that William who married Sarah ORGAN, may be either, a different William Gallop, or HE MARRIED X3 TIMES !!!??
Was that an older William Gallop ??
Sorry , it is late at night now and my brain is a little fuzzy !
I guess I need to check out the dates again ...
It does feel good and a comfort though that both you and Pat from the Ancestry web site have clearly done so much research on the family...
What is your take on it all please ?
Mandi

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:17 pm 

Oops, maria, was not listed as the mother on either of the baptism certificates i have in front of me, as I had stated ,yet as I said, the paper trail on ancestry, states that they DID have several children too....
Another question is after following up on ancestry again...
could Edward, Williams brother, have been originally married to Maria, and that THEY had children, he then died so William stepped in and married her as his first wwife, she then died, he then married Emily...Either way, it appears William ended up with quite a few children....
I love the numerous mention of him in Edward Wix 6 months of a newfoundland missionarys journal.... WILLIAM was quite active in his support of the community...
mandi

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:55 pm 

looking at margaret mullins cd ; seen gallop; is your william gallop from bere regis dorset.
she has 6 pages of info if so.
allan

Board index » General » Introductions