Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Irish Newbie
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:50 pm 

Hi,
The names John, grandson of a proud Newfoundlander who arrived in Ireland in 1919. Like many its only now at 50+ that I have the time to follow up on grandads story. While I have been able to find lots of information on my branch of the Doran family on the ngb files I still have to fill in quiet a few blanks. In particular I'm searching for details on my grand uncle Cyril Doran his wife Mary and their children. He died in the early or mid 1930's and worked for the "Daily News" perhaps as a printer/typesetter. I believe his last surviving daughter (Catherine McCarthy nee Doran) passed away on Dec 5th 2007 based on an entry in the obituary columns of Western Star Newspaper.
If you have any information about the family that you can pass on, I would be most grateful

Post subject: Re: Irish Newbie
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:00 pm 

Hello John :D

Just wanted to observe that I think your situation is a wee bit unique ... Newfoundland TO Ireland!

A great many of us are searching for relatives who came FROM Ireland, LOL ... and, speaking personally, not having much luck what with the lose of the majority of Irish census records.

By the way, you may want to re-post your message in the "looking for" portion of the forum, since more people are likely to see it there.

Cheers from another newcomer ;)
J

Post subject: Re: Irish Newbie
 Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:19 pm 

Hi John

I am the Grandson of Cyril Doran, my name is Cyril and I live in Corner Brook, Newfoundland. I recall my mother indicated she had an Uncle Jack that immigrated (she used to say returned) to Ireland. Uncle Jack visited us in Corner Brook, NL in the seventies with Mary, who I understood was his daughter. I have pictures and video of Jack's visit to Corner Brook. All the information you have provided in relation to Cyril Doran accurately reflects what my Mother has indicated to me. I would be willing to provide whatever information I have in relation to your search. I also have Mary Doran's (Nee McCarthy) family diary in my possession.

Cyril

Board index » General » Introductions