Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Researching Snook, Pike, Rockwood
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:35 am 

Hi, I'm new to the forum and looking for info on my mother's biological father.

She was born on Sept. 24, 1935. Her mother's married name was Blanch E. Snook married to Allan J. Snook. However, on her birth certificate, her name was Mildred Elizabeth Pike. I believe she was raised mostly by her grandfather who I am pretty sure was Arthur F. Rockwood. I sort of get the feeling she was born out of wedlock, so I assume that was a no-no back in those days. Does anyone out there know who her father might have been? She came from Sunnyside, Trinity Bay and she had many brothers and sisters - Henry, Nita, twins Don & Doug, Lilian and Betty Lou. Betty Lou was not the daughter of Allan Snook.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Researching Snook, Pike, Rockwood
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:31 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

The following is the Census for Sunnyside Trinity bay for the years 1921, 1935,and 1945. This may help you in tracing who Blanche was. You will notice that she is listed in one of the census as Arthur Rockwood's daughter and in another his neice. She is also listed in one as Rockwood and in another as Pike.

Good luck.

This is the 1921 Census
89 96 Arthur ROCKWOOD M Head Married 1879 Nov 42 Hearts Content
Blanche ROCKWOOD F Wife Married 1885 Aug 36 Carbonear
Walter ROCKWOOD M Son Single 1913 Jan8 8 St. John's
Blanche ROCKWOOD F Daughter Single 1916 Aug 5 Sunnyside
90 97 Mark ROCKWOOD M Head Married 1846 Nov 75 Hearts Content
Jane ROCKWOOD F Wife Married 1844 Jul 77 Hr. Grace

This is the 1935 Census
123 132 ROCKWOOD Arthur Head M M 54
PAGE 418
ROCKWOOD Blanche Wife F M 50
ROCKWOOD Walter Son M S 23
PIKE Blanche Niece F S 19
ROCKWOOD Mark Father M W 85
TUCKER Henry Uncle M W 79

This is the 1945 Census
8 11 ROCKWOOD Arthur L. Head M M 67 Trinity South Trinity South
ROCKWOOD Blanche Wife F M 60 Carbonear Trinity South
MARSH Marnie Servant F W 31 Trinity North Trinity North

You will notice that Blanche was going by the name PIKE in 1935, Hence why your mother was listed on her birth certificate with the surname PIKE. You will need to go to the Gov. Services Dept. to get a copy of the birth certificate and see who is listed as father. The info is on line on how to do this. Just go into the Govt. of Newfoundland and Labrador Web site and then into Govt. Services for birth certificates, it should explain everything there.

Good Luck

Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:27 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Sunnyside Anglican Cemetary

Leah Drover May 23, 1919 37 1/2 yr. mother of Arthur Pike & Blanche Rockwood

Found in the Sunnyside Anglican Cemetary. Death of Leah Drover on May 23, 1919 the mother of Arthur Pike and Blanche Rockwood.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:57 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

I found the following on this site which may be of interest to you. This person seems to have some answers for you.

PIKE
Researcher: Susan Khaladkar - susan.khaladkar@gmail.com
Address: P.O. Box 70, Sunnyside, Trinity Bay, NL
Description:I am looking for information on Edward Pike and Leah Taylor, both from Mosquito, South Side Carbonear. They were married in Mosquito, November 12, 1881, and had two children - Arthur Joseph (b. 1882) and Elizabeth Blanche (b. 1885). I am looking for birth records for Edward and Leah and a death record for Edward. Edward died sometime after the children were born and Leah re-married. Her second husband was a Rowe; I don't know anything about him - just that Leah's last name was Rowe when she married James Drover (her third husband) of Sunnyside on April 3, 1903. The marriage took place in Whitbourne. Any additional information or clues would be appreciated.
Area of Research: Trinity Bay, Conception Bay
Extent of research:Fairly thorough
[Apr/2001]

Hope this helps.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:30 am 

Hi and welcome to the Forum. I'm very happy to hear from you. My grandfather was Arthur F. Rockwood and I now live in Sunnyside after many years in Saskatchewan.

Arthur Rockwood's wife was Blanche Elizabeth Pike. Her brother was Arthur Pike, who married Priscilla Luther. They had six children but I believe two died. Priscilla died in 1918 or 1919 and left Arthur with four children - Nita, Doris, Harry and Blanche. Nita and Blanche were raised by my grandparents. I have unconfirmed information about your mother's father. Let's do this by email - susan.khaladkar@gmail.com.

We also have a book you might be interested in. It contains It contains 40 pages of general history and 270 pages on Sunnyside families. Send me an email.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:15 pm 

Posting for Karen and Len.
Karen - would like to contact you re family information that I have.
Len - Leah Drover's age is wrong. She was 67 1/2 when she died (not 37 1/2). The headstone may be hard to read or there was a typo.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:53 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Susan Khaladkar wrote:
Posting for Karen and Len.
Karen - would like to contact you re family information that I have.
Len - Leah Drover's age is wrong. She was 67 1/2 when she died (not 37 1/2). The headstone may be hard to read or there was a typo.

Thanks for that.
Have you tried sending her (Karen) an email through this site?

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:30 am 

To Susan K.

I just sent you an email re my Mom, Mildred E. Pike. Now I know why her last name was Pike. I don't know why her mother Blanche, went by Snook as a last name. When I knew her, the only man around was a border named Ray. They had one child together, Betty Lou.
My mom had several siblings - Anita, Lillian, Don & Doug (twins), Henry, Betty Lou - I think that's it.

My Mom had 3 children - Cheryl Ann Elizabeth Poulin, Karen (me) Louise Rombough, and Allen Douglas Rombough. My Mom and Dad were together for 37 years until his death in 1991. My Mom died in 1992 of ALS.

I always got the impression my mother was raised by Papa Rockwood. Am I wrong?

Board index » General » Introductions