Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Major General Charles Collins Campbell
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:07 am 

I'm trying to build up a picture of his career. He is generally said to have commanded British troops in Newfoundland, and was certainly in Newfoundland in 1815 and 1816, marrying Mary Harriet Andrews in the St John's Cathedral in May 1816. Letters from him to the War Office suggest the battalion of the 93rd, then in Newfoundland and due for disbandment, should be retained, but it wasn't. His previous spouse, about whom very little is known, died during the birth of what must have been her eleventh child (about whom also nothing further is known) in Leeds, UK, in February 1813. So Campbell must have come to Newfoundland after that, but I can't find when. If he brought his family with him, a daughter called Mary, who may have been 12 years old, is said to have died in February 1816. I can find no trace of her in UK sources - a South African list of his children, taken after his death there in 1822, and otherwise accurate, suggests she had been born in Dublin in 1804, but since a son was born less than a month later in Workington, Cumbria, and Dublin Church of Ireland registers no longer exist, this has to remain dubious. Any information at all about him and his time in newfoundland would be very gratefully received.

Board index » General » Introductions