Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Looking for information on Williams'/Langdon in Strait of Belle Isle area, Northern Peninsula
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:39 pm 

I am hoping someone can shed some light and clarify information on Williams' family from the Strait of Belle Isle area.

The first Williams' on the coast was William and James Williams. They settled on Current Island. They may be brothers but also heard they were father and son. Williams may not be their last name. It may be Langdon and came from Portland, England. One of the Williams', William may be William Langdon born in 1812 from Portland, England and changed his name to William Williams. James may be a brother or a son of William. I am having difficulty sorting it out. Eventually, I will have to pay someone who can get access to the information in St. John's, I am thinking. Anyway in the meantime, it is fun looking doing the research (online) myself though it is very difficult to get the info from online sources.

If anyone has any information, please forward to me. It will be greatly appreciated.

Yvonne

Post subject: Re: Looking for information on Williams'/Langdon in Strait o
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:03 pm 

Hi;
Disregard Langdon connection. They are 2 different people. Still looking for info on James and William Williams. Also looking for information from the Newfoundland 1911 census for Strait of Belle Isle/St. Barbe region. Only partial of the 1911 census is on this site. Is there a complete 1911 census anywhere?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:47 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

The following are births of WILLIAMS in the 1850's of Currant Island;

NL GenWeb
Labrador Region ~ South Coast District
Register of Baptisms in the Mission of Belle Isle Straite, 1849-1860

Josiah Currant Island Jul 8, 1855 James & Elizabeth Williams May 30, 1850

Mary Ann Currant Island Jul 8, 1855 James & Elizabeth Williams Dec 4, 1852

Elizabeth Currant Island Jul 8, 1855 James & Elizabeth Williams Sept 19, 1857?

James Currant Island Jul 8, 1855 James & Elizabeth Williams Mar 27, 1855

Also you can check out the following site which has listings of Headstones, you may get a lot of info here. There are indications that photos are available. The listings has CUI in front of them indicates Currant Island.

http://ngb.chebucto.org/Stonepics/stonepics-wz.shtml

Good Luck

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:12 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

The following exerpt was obtained from the attached site, it shows that James Williams was the first settler to Currant Island;
http://nl.canadagenweb.org/npstbn_settlers.htm

The first settler on Current Island was William Toope, followed shortly after by James Williams and his brother William; then John Gibbons, a sturdy Englishman of most sterling and capable qualities. As an illustration of their mettle, the eldest son, John, went to Hamilton, Ontario, about 1900. He could neither read nor write, but secured work as a common hand in the Hamilton Steel Works. In about ten years after entering the mill he had attained the highest post, and became the manager with a secretary to do his writing. He retained this position until his death.

The first settler on Forrester’s Point was Bill Williams, a desperate character, one of the brothers mentioned above. He married a full-blooded Esquimaux, and many are the stories told of the vicissitudes of this union. On one occasion, Bill decided to get rid of his wife Hannah. He took her out in a boat, and was putting her overboard to drown her when another boat came to rescue her. The occupants of the other boat, before interfering to save Hannah, called out, “What are you doing with your wife, Bill?” “Be gobs, Jack, I’m going to get rid of her, boy. She’s got me drove crazy.” “But who’s going to cook for you, and mend your socks and wash your clothes?” “Be gobs, Jack. I did not think of that,” said Bill, and forthwith pulled her into the boat again. Both the old Williams had died before I went to the Straits in 1903. Old Hannah still survived and was regarded by the next generation with a certain amount of awe. Uncanny powers of witchcraft were attributed to her, and the younger folk dared not incur her displeasure.

Good Luck, Hope this helps.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:52 am 

Thank you Len for the info. I am trying to make sense of the information that I have. 1. Whether James and William were brothers...possibly not. 2. Whether they or 1 of them is a Portland (William used Portland on 3 of his children's birth certificates as well a William Portland is listed for Cape Norman 1871 Lovell), 3. what FN goup their wives belong to..both suppposedly married sisters (Elizabeth and Hannah (Anna) Brown..they were Indian and not Inuit supposedly. I would like to know if they were Micmac or Montanais.

I read an article which indicated a large number of Micmac listed as living in Cape Norman (1911 census). I am hoping to find it to see what names are listed for these people. This site has only a partial of the 1911 census. Cape Norman is not there.

Also, I was told that there is an article published by Joey Smallwood in the Encyclopedia of NF of the rescue of three Indian girls by the Williams' brothers. I have quickly scrolled through the online version of the encyclopedia but did not notice any antedotes or stories so wondering if Smallwood wrote other books where he published personal stories.

Anyway the search continues. If you come across some reference to the Strait of Belle Isle, the William/Portland surname and/or Elizabeth and Hannah Brown in any readings, please pass it along to me. Thanks..Yvonne

Board index » General » Introductions