Newfoundland and Labrador
The town has not always been called Cottlesville. Different maps of the area in years prior to our generation, have called this section of land Cottle's Island, Cottles Island, Cottle Island, Cottel Island, Cotell Island, Cattle Island, Cottle Village, Cottle's Cove, Cottles Cove and Cottle Cove. These name changes have been both accidental and intentional. The changing of the name in 1980 from Cottles Island to Cottlesville was the result of a democratic referendum with over 80 percent in favor. It was the first time the Community had a legal name. Other changes have probably been due to mis-spelling because many people could not write. The first inhabitants lived on the island off our Northern Shore divided by tickle. When the residents of the islands moved to the mainland they brought the name "Cottles" with them, but to make the distinction between the island and the mainland they used "cove" and " village".
Lukes Arm, which is now a part of Cottlesville, was recorded in 1951. They were both reported under the same name, Cottles Island. It remains a mystery is to why the name Cottle was applied. "Cottle" is a British family name, also known as "Cotel" and "Coutelle".
Cottlesville is currently an incorporated community composed of two settlements, called Cottle's Island and Luke's Arm.
. (s:Town of Cottlesville website, www.cottlesville.com)