To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".
These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.
History of the Holy Innocents Parish - Paradise
The history of the Anglican Church in Paradise goes back to the early 1900's when a number of families resettled in the area from the community of Upper Island Cove. Some of the earlier families were: Lynches; Coombs; Jane's; Goss's; and Sharpe's. Shortly after they settled, a one room school was constructed which also served as a chapel. This building was used until the late 1940's when a new two room school was built, in which a more suitable chapel was constructed. This new chapel continued to serve the needs of the people until 1963 when a small church was built. This church was known as "The Little Church on the Hill". Up to the early 1980's the congregation of Paradise remained small. It was then that there was an influx of Anglicans to the area. It was evident that a larger building was needed and a new church was built and completed in 1989 with a seating capacity of 300. Today, Holy Innocents has grown to 225 families ranging from young to middle age.
Information and Records of the Holy Innocents Parish - Paradise
P.O. Box 3228
297 Paradise Road
Telephone and Fax #:
Holy Innocents Parish - Paradise Home page:
The Rev'd Shawn Samson
Paradise, NL, Canada
Records available: Records start in 1905 and are available at the Parish Office. The parish records are not available at the Provincial Archives of Newfoundland and Labrador (PANL). Records prior to 1905 can be found at St. John the Evangelist Parish and the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist.
There are no Vital Statistics Volumes (DPHW) available for this Parish. They do have the All Newfoundland Births - Vital Statistics Division microfilm available for this parish at the PANL for the period from 1891 to1926 for baptisms and from 1891 to 1922 for marriages.
The death records for this Parish start from early 1900's. There are also microfilms at the PANL from the Vital Statistics Division from 1891 to 1949 for deaths.
A list of Pastors who served the Holy Innocents Parish:
Rev. Trudy Gosse (1991-1993)
Contributed by Barbara McGrath
Updated to current information by Father Shawn Samson, Rector (February 2006)Page Last Modified: Thursday September 29, 2016 (Don Tate)
|Recent Updates||Contact Us|
Your Community, Online!
Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form for any purpose other than personal use.
© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2018)